The Trakehner Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting a D book mare admitted into the OSB.

Go down

Getting a D book mare admitted into the OSB. Empty Getting a D book mare admitted into the OSB.

Post  horseofcorff Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:03 pm

I have a mare by Feuertanzer, foaled after he lost his privileges. Last year Kelly Gulick told me that she found an exception that would enable a D book mare to be inspected and admitted into the OSB. And she read me the rule as follows. If a mare born by a once approved stallion has a dam line that includes five generations of inspected approved dams, then she can be inspected and admitted to the OSB. She then asked me if I wanted to pay the inspection fee and run her down to an inspection that was happening later that week. I thought it over and said I would do it next year.

So this year I went to schedule her for an inspection and Kelly said she read it wrong that it was only a rule for OSB-B and C mares. Well I don't understand this because to be in the OSB B or C you would have to have an approved stallion. The D book is for unapproved stallions or unapproved mares.

So what would that rule actually pertain to if not to getting a mare admitted into the OSB. Mares that are already OAB or C can just apply for inspection without have 5 generations of inspected dams???

Deborah Corff

horseofcorff

Back to top Go down

Getting a D book mare admitted into the OSB. Empty Re: Getting a D book mare admitted into the OSB.

Post  Guest Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:03 am

I *think* that B and C mares don't necessarily have approved sires - because they are by TB or Arabian sires, but their dams are approved. But their colts can't be considered for future approval, only their fillies. Or they are out of approved TB or Arab mares by an approved stallion - the TB or Arab mares do *not* have 5 generations of approved dams, they are judged as individuals.

The rules don't apply equally to approved mares as they do to approved stallions.

I know it seems crazy - that a mare by an unapproved stallion could go into the OSB - but a mare by a Trakehner stallion (not approved or not presented or revoked) and out of an approved Trakehner mare can't - you'd think there would be a way of petitioning for an exceptional mare.

The exception that I think Kelly might have been thinking about is that after 5 generations of "pure" ie approved pure Trakehner breeding (no unapproved xx or ox), a foal can be considered "pure" Trakehner. The 1/64 rule. That's how pinto and palomino Trakehners are being bred (by Gwen Gregorio for example).

But the only way to be absolutely sure is to check and double check with the office. The ATA rules are byzantine and difficult to interpret in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Getting a D book mare admitted into the OSB. Empty Re: Getting a D book mare admitted into the OSB.

Post  Guest Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 am

As an example - as I understand it - I have a filly by Feuertanzer out of my APHA mare. If I bred her to, say, Tate and got a filly and then bred that filly to Taz and then that filly to Happy Hour and then that filly to Schiffon, then the filly from *that* cross would be considered a pure Trakehner. But not if I bred along the way to Halimey Go, because his sire is an Anglo Arab - Askar - and Askar's parents weren't approved Trakehners.

Does that help or have I confused the situation further?

Back to top Go down

Post  anglotra Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Contact the registration committee. They can tell you in a basic way .how it all works

anglotra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down